I.A.11. BSC SUMMER PRESIDENT
The Summer President’s chief responsibility is to serve as the student leader and official representative of the BSC, throughout the full summer term. The Summer President chairs SumCom (the Summer Governance Committee) and Board as necessary. The Summer President is responsible for ensuring that the decision-making processes of the Board, especially SumCom, function smoothly and for promoting the general welfare of the corporation. The Summer President ensures the flow of information to and serves as an information resource for the Board, the Central Office Staff Management, Unit-Level Management, and Membership. The Summer President shall also ensure that our long-range planning needs are being met. The Summer President is the supervisor of the Summer Vice President and Board AA, and shall, therefore, supervise the performance of their duties and train, assist, fill in for them, and delegate duties as necessary. The Summer President shall meet regularly with the Executive Director. Also see the BSC Executive Job Description.
- 1. Meet frequently with the Executive Director and convey any problems observed or reported about the Central Office or their job performance.
- 2. Enforce Board and Cabinet directives to Staff managers.
- 3. Supervise and train the Board Administrative Assistant, and ensure that Board Packets (including board agenda and minutes for all committees) are sent out at least three days before each board meeting is to take place.
- 4. Review and edit all Board and SumCom minutes prior to their distribution.
- 5. Sign documents on behalf of the BSC as necessary.
- 6. Terminate members in accordance with the Bylaws.
- 1. Facilitate any meetings of the Board of Directors called during the summer period or delegate this task.
- 2. Facilitate all meetings of the Summer Governance Committee.
- 3. Communicate to the Staff Managers on a regular basis regarding the implementation of all Board policies and directives.
- 4. Along with the Summer Vice President and Senior staff, the President will coordinate the planning of SumCom meetings.
- 5. Call all meetings as necessary in accordance with the Bylaws.
- 1. Convene and preside over SumCom meetings.
- 2. Report to the Board of Directors all actions by SumCom.
- 1. Communicate with the press, City officials, BSC neighbors, and the community as necessary.
- 2. Attend University, City, and other outside agency and community meetings as necessary.
- 3. Develop contacts with other student cooperatives and keep the BSC in touch with the worldwide cooperative movement.
- 4. Supervise the other Executives in the performance of their duties and shall assist and fill in for them as necessary.
- 5. Fulfill all other duties delegated to the President outlined in BSC Policy.
Term of position: 12:00 a.m. on the day following the end of the spring contract period until 11:59 p.m. on the day prior to the start of the subsequent fall contract period.
Supervisor: Board of Directors
Hired by: Board election
Eligibility: Only sitting Directors are eligible to serve as President.
Expected hours per week: 20
Compensation: Stipend equal to 20 hours/week