Social Manager Coordinator
The Social Manager Coordinator takes the lead in planning major BSC member events. The SMC ensures the smooth planning, preparation, completion, and conclusion of member events—duties may include but are not limited to budgeting, establishing dates and alternate dates, advertising and promoting the event, selecting and reserving the event site, acquiring permits, transportation, tables, chairs, event support and security, signage, emergency plans, and cleanup. The SMC works closely with the Member Resources Supervisors (MRS) and VPET to create professional and well-attended events. Under the direction of the MRS, the SMC trains and provides on-going support to Social Managers throughout the semester.
The Programs Board is responsible for planning and executing BSC-wide programming in order to promote member education and engagement across the cooperative. The SMC is ultimately responsible for ensuring the Programs Board fulfills its purpose, specifically by facilitating meetings, maintaining communication, and overseeing the management of the Programs Board.
Job Maintenance Tasks
- 1. Plan, Schedule, and Organize Member Education and Board Events
- a. In collaboration with the Member Resources Supervisor and VPET, organize and conduct the New Member Orientations for Fall, Spring and Summer sessions.
- b. Organize and conduct the annual Co-op Graduation every Spring.
- c. Assist the VPET with planning and executing the General Membership Meeting every Spring, in conjunction with other executives and staff.
- d. Under the direction of the President and VPET, assist with the planning and coordination of the Fall and Spring Board Retreats.
- 2. Work with Unit-Level Management and Social Managers in particular to ensure safe, well-planned parties at the unit level.
- a. Organize a social calendar for the BSC which logs all BSC policies and social events.
- b. Plan and conduct Social Manager Training each semester with guidance and support from the MRS in accordance with III.A.2.
- c. Conduct a party security meeting at each unit in collaboration with unit-level managers before the first party.
- d. In conjunction with the Health Education Coordinator, prepare and distribute a party safety workshop template for unit-level managers each semester.
- e. Regularly organize group check-ins and/or follow up trainings with Social Managers as needed.
- f. Review party notification and party security forms regularly and follow up with units to ensure compliance with BSC policy.
- 3. Provide Leadership and Direction to the Programs Board
- a. Work in collaboration with the Vice President of Experience and Training (VPET), the Experience and Training Committee (ETCom), the Cooperative Experience Manager (CXM), the Member Resources Supervisor (MRS), the LEAD Center Coordinator, and other relevant parties, in order to fulfill the mission of the Programs Board.
- b. Provide overall leadership, maintain regular communication with, and facilitate all meetings of the Programs Board.
- c. Ensure the Programs Board hosts a minimum of five events each year.
- d. Ensure the Programs Board submits a program proposal to ETCom by the fifth week of the Fall and Spring contract periods. Program proposals should include events and programs scheduled through the following contract period until the following proposal deadline so that BSC wide-programming occurs throughout the year.
- 4. Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- a. Maintain a project log, including the hours spent on each project, to be submitted to the MRS for review.
- b. Attend Member Resources Department meetings and other interdepartmental meetings as needed.
- c. Update (at least once a month) a manual and/or google.doc containing the best practices, projects, weekly tasks, workshops, and other resources necessary to perform the SMC position.
- d. Ensure continuity in the position by working with predecessors and successors to train the following SMC in their job duties and to facilitate completion of ongoing projects.
- e. Respond to emails and calls within 24 hours.
- f. Maintain regular communication with the CXM and VPET.
- g. Perform other tasks as assigned by the Member Resources Supervisor.
Relationship with Board/Membership
- 1. Meet with ETCom at the beginning of the each semester to present goals and services and solicit feedback and support.
- 2. Work with ETCom and other Board committees as needed throughout the remainder of the semester. Attend Board and other committee meetings as necessary.
- 1. Must be an eligible BSC member for the term of job
- 2. Must possess a CA driver’s license and be authorized to drive BSC-owned vehicles
- 3. Ability to lift 30 pounds
- 1. Event planning experience
- 2. A registered University of California student
- 3. Expert on BSC party and safety policies
Term of Job: Indefinite (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
Supervisor: Member Resources Supervisor
Hired by: Hiring Committee
Expected hours per week: 6 hrs/wk (Summer); 10 hrs/wk (Fall); 10 hrs/wk (Spring)